Wednesday, April 20, 2016

A TO Z CHALLENGE 2016 -- QANDISA

You smirk as you watch the fool stumble away. He cannot put two words together after what you did to him.

He was too easy to lure like all the others.  They want nothing but a beautiful face and body.  His lust will be his doom.

He will crave you until his is mad with it.

You melt back into the water as you wait for your next victim.



The Qandisa is a Jinn (or djinn, heh heh heh).  One story had her as a woman shaman who broke laws and was turned into a Jinn.  She is also associated with the goddess of love, Astarte, in which she maybe an updated or older version.

She is a demon of lust of Morocco.  She lures young men to seduce them and steals their sanity.  She can be found in rivers and springs.

Also called Aisa Qandisa or Quadias.  Her appearance is of a beautiful woman, but in one version I found, she may have mare or mule feet.

One region was said to sacrifice to her to prevent her from attacking.  It took place on the summer solstice.
gh
My second choice of the day isn't a monster.  I was having trouble finding a blood and guts killer like the rest of my posts. So I was going to settle with something less creepy.

 Q'wati is the Quileute creation being.  Well, he didn't just create them.  The story I found had him creating other tribes like the Hoh.  You can go HERE to read a version of the story.

What is truly fascinating is that when Q'wati came upon two wolves he turned them into humans.  He named them the Quileute.  Although they are not the werewolves of the Stephenie Meyers' books.

15 comments:

  1. I remember the uproar about Meyer making up Native American legends just for funsies... Granted, that was not the only problem with Twilight.
    I kept running into Qandisha when I was researching an Algerian folktale about a girl named Aisha... popular name :)

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    The Multicolored Diary
    MopDog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there have other less popular books that have taken myths and changed them.

      its sad that much of native american folklore and mythology and language was lost in the craptasticness of the American expansion of the 19th century. the genocidic tendencies of the govenment is still a disgrace.

      Delete
  2. A beautiful woman with mare or mule feet? I'm still trying to picture that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm just the writer. my research is to blame. :D

      Delete
  3. I like the Qandisa. She makes me want to write a story with her.

    ~Ninja Minion Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll take some research, but I say go for it!

      Delete
  4. Luring young men and stealing their sanity... I had friends who seemed to lose their mental faculties when it came to certain young ladies, so I'm not sure the jinn have a monopoly on that power! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have friends too that lose their marbles over men.

      Delete
  5. Yes, lust can be the end of a sane man! LOL
    I've heard of none of these! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be. I never heard of many of mine as well, but I loved learning about them.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like some sorority friends of mine, haha! You're pulling great material together, girl--lots of cool story ideas brewing over here I'm sure!


    The AtoZ of EOS
    #TeamDamyanti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to say none are sparking here. But hopefully I can give others a brilliant flash.

      Delete
  7. So basically Qandisa does what some school systems seem to think showing a little shoulder does to boys in general?
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting. After reading about the Red Room, I'd be happy to meet the Qandisa. I guess I'm safe from her charms anyway? :)

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE IN THE LITTLE BOX!