Monday, April 20, 2015

A to Z Challenge -- Q -- CARDINAL, QUESTIONS, AND CASTING



QUARTERS -- Calling the Quarters, Guardians, Guardians of the Watchtowers, or whatever title they are given are used when casting a circle. Depending on the belief, they are the cardinal directions, directions and elements, elementals, protective spirits (hence Guardians), some have the elements separate from the Guardians or the Guardians add their elemental power to the circle. 
 Whether They are evoked, invoked, or convoked, it is the rule of thumb not to call forth something that is not understood fully.  

Usually the elemental energy is used to enhance the magic performed in the circle.



QUERENT -- In a tarot reading, this is the person who is getting the the reading. Can also be called the Seeker.  The querent will have a specific tarot card that represents him/her in the spread (the layout of the cards), which is called the Signifier or Significator.




Disclaimer: None of these pictures belong to me.  I found them on Google.

18 comments:

  1. The only time I've seen the calling of the corners was in The Craft. I wasn't sure if Guardians were a real thing or just something the film made up.
    Sophie
    Sophie's Thoughts & Fumbles
    FB3X
    Wittegen Press

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a part of some Wiccan rituals. Like other religions, there are a plethora of differences in the different Wiccan styles. They are mention several of my Wicca books.

      Delete
  2. I find tarot intriguing, but I don't know a lot about it. I'll have to learn more...

    @TarkabarkaHolgy from
    Multicolored Diary - Epics from A to Z
    MopDog - 26 Ways to Die in Medieval Hungary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, but I've never been proficient at it.

      Delete
  3. I know very little about the circle and tarot cards, so this is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you would like my A and P posts. That talk about tarot there as well.

      Delete
  4. Shhh, for the sake of the A to Z Challenge, we're only using querent when it comes to tarot readings. ;)

    ~Patricia Lynne aka Patricia Josephine~
    Member of C. Lee's Muffin Commando Squad
    Story Dam
    Patricia Lynne, Indie Author

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always thought it would be fun to have a tarot reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Calling the Quarters" sounds very mysterious and regal. I feel like a bell should be tolling, somewhere. I like how the names vary depending on the belief. Core truth--multiple interpretations. I like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It does feel mysterious, doesn't it?

      Delete
  7. That's a beautiful image of tarot cards. We were just talking about tarot at lunch on Sunday :)
    Tasha
    Tasha's Thinkings | Wittegen Press | FB3X (AC)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember but I think they were really old. At least by a century or two.

      Delete
  8. I like the word querent, and I intend to use it in some form. *Added to my little notebook of cool words.*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these posts! I didn't know about either one of these. Very fascinating!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE IN THE LITTLE BOX!